Assistant Director of Psychometrics - AD-1730
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 2021-NAGB-1
OPENING AND CLOSING DATES
June 23, 2021 through August 6, 2021
AREA OF CONSIDERATION
All recruiting sources
$144,128 - $172, 500
The National Assessment Governing Board (Governing Board or Board), established by the U.S. Congress within the U.S. Department of Education, is seeking an Assistant Director for Psychometrics.
The 26-member Board is comprised of state and local officials, testing and curriculum experts, educators, business representatives, and members of the public. The Board sets policy for the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), often known as the Nation’s Report Card, which is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what America’s students know and can do in various academic subject areas. The Governing Board sets policy for NAEP, while the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) is responsible for administration of the NAEP assessments.
The Board relies on the Assistant Director for Psychometrics to serve as the chief technical expert on matters related to the design and methodology of NAEP assessments, measurement and validity issues, and achievement level setting.
Key responsibilities include
- Providing advice and recommendations on the design and methodology of each NAEP assessment, including sampling, data collection, scaling and overall technical integrity;
- Serving as the lead staff person assigned to work with the Committee on Standards, Design, and Methodology and undertaking duties pertaining to design methodology and achievement level setting;
- Assisting the Board in developing guidelines and standards for conducting analysis plans across a diverse array of subjects and measurement contexts;
- Assisting the Board in selecting procedures and guidelines for standard setting and providing technical guidance to the design and implementation of the standard setting procedures;
- Proposing studies and study designs that will inform Board decisions and Board reports;
- Developing procurement documents to include Statements of Work, directing technical evaluations, and managing contracts for the development of achievement levels, preparedness research initiatives, and other research efforts undertaken by the Governing Board;
- Working collaboratively with assessment division staff from NCES to promote alignment between NAEP policy and operational practice;
- Establishing and maintaining a network of experts to provide external technical advice and expertise to the Governing Board on key issues for the assessment program.
QUALIFICATIONS: At least five years of experience in educational measurement, research evaluation, assessment, or psychometric work related to testing. A doctoral degree in any of these areas is preferred.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please submit a cover letter of no more than 1 page and a resume that details your qualifications and experience for the position. Applications and questions should be addressed to email@example.com. All applications must be received via email by the closing date of this announcement.
PROGRAM OFFICE: Washington, DC
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: Not Applicable
BARGAINING UNIT: No
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: One
You must be a U.S citizen to be eligible for consideration. Candidates may be asked to fill out a Declaration for Federal Employment (Optional Form 306). The individual selected for the position will be required to certify to the accuracy of application materials and provide supporting documentation of educational qualifications. The successful applicant will be required to undergo a background check and complete financial disclosure forms on an annual basis.
For more details, see the Assistant Director for Psychometrics Position Description